St. Mary’s Church stands on the highest ground in the town within an Iron Age hill fort. One of the most remarkable features in the 12th century font. The building was restored in the 19th century and has also been recently adapted for modern styles of worship.
Chesham – St. Mary
Parts of the 12th century Norman church still survive despite rebuilding over the centuries to accommodate increases in population and there was an extensive re-ordering in 1999 that gave the Church interior its present appearance.
Ivinghoe – St. Mary
Ivinghoe is a large imposing church, cruciform in shape, with a central tower and slender spire. Nothing remains of the Saxon church that must have existed here. The rest of the church dates from a rebuilding in the early 13th century.
Amersham – St. Mary
The Church was first mentioned in 1140 but little remains of the Norman Church from that time. It may well have resembled the Church at Chesham. The church was remodeled in the 18th century and again in the late 20th century.
Chetwode – St. Mary and St. Nicholas
In the medieval period the Chetwode family appointed priests to the parish church of St. Martin until the former priory church took over the role. The present Church is well noted for its stained glass.
Radnage – St. Mary the Virgin
The Church is in a beautiful setting, with fine views down the valley. It is built of flint with stone dressings. It comprises nave, central tower and chancel, and appears to date from the 13th century.
Bledlow – Holy Trinity
The village and Church are on the arable land in the Vale and the Church is an excellent example of a small ‘Early English’ church. It is built of flint with stone dressings and is noted for its wall paintings that date from the 13th and 17th centuries.
Little Hampton Church
The church displays more vernacular than ecclesiastical architecture and it is difficult to date. It is built of flint but none of the masonry appears older than the 13th century. The real delight is in its wall paintings, which were brought to light in 1907.
Haddenham – St. Mary the Virgin
Little remains of the Norman church at Haddenham as it was largely rebuilt in the 13th century. The church comprises a tall nave with side aisles, a long chancel with north chapel and south vestry, and a very fine west tower.
North Crawley – St. Firmin
Early records suggest that a minster church, like Aylesbury, existed here before rebuilding started in the 13th century. A special feature in this church is the painted rood screen with lively figures of the prophets and saints in the lower panels.
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.