Hillsden – All Saints
The church was originally cruciform in shape. The construction was of high quality ashlar stone, both inside and out, with the exception of the rubble stone tower, which is of a slightly earlier date.
The church comprises a nave, a chancel and a west tower with a staircase in the north-west corner. The structure is of limestone rubble with shallow lead roofs. Above the north door is a painted epitaph to the two Peover sisters who are credited with building the church.
North Marston – St. Mary
The church, dating from the 13th century, was transformed in the late 15th century with a radical rebuilding programme financed by the Dean of Windsor. The architectural significance of the chancel of North Marston was recognised by Queen Victoria’s advisers in 1855.
High Wycombe – All Saints
The first known church was consecrated around 1070 and was probably cruciform in shape. Extensive rebuilding took place in the 12th and 13th centuries with further works in the 15th century. The church was heavily restored during the Victorian period.
Chilton – St. Mary
Chilton church has a most unusual plan. The church also has a rare north tower that dates from the 13th century. The chronology of the various building phases can be best understood from inside the church where there are many curious features to be seen.
Quainton – St. Mary and Holy Cross
Quainton church is approached by a path from the north-east and the first impression is somewhat spoilt by an unfortunate porch completed in 2005. The overall impression is of a large, important church that kept abreast of changing fashions in church architecture, at least unti the 15th century.
Chicheley – St. Lawrence
The church is remarkable both for its centrally placed ‘Perpendicular’ tower and its Classical 18th century chancel. The thickness of the walls suggest that it may date back to the Norman period. Various parts have been rebuilt over the centuries but the most notable was the rebuilding of the chancel in the early 18th century.
Drayton Beauchamp – St. Mary
The church has a beautiful setting with Chiltern woodland behind. The building is quite striking as it built of flint and chalk. The chancel is very darmatic with alternating courses of ashlar blocks of chalk and ironstone.
Chenies – St. Michael
It is not clear when the original church was founded but the list fo rectors runs from 1232. The church was completely rebuilt in the late 15th century in the prevailing ‘Perpendicular’ style. The church is home to the Bedford Chapel that is rarely open to the public but may be glimpsed through the carved screens.
Stoke Poges – St. Giles
Parts of the church date back to the 12th century, when the tithes and the right to appoint the priest rested with the Priory os St. Mary Overy. The Hastings Chapel is a large brick structure was intended as a burial vault for the family of that name but there are no monuments to the family inside.
Langley Marish – St. Mary
The earliest masonry in the church dates from the 12th century, but the chancel and north chapel have ‘Decorated’ east windows of the 14th century. This remarkable church houses the Kederminster Library, one of the best preserved parish libraries in England.
Dorney – St. James
Dorney church is remote from the village and adjacent to Dorney Court, the home of the Palmer family since 1624. Parts of the church date abck to the 12th century. In contrast, the brick tower, with a projecting stone turret on the south, dates from the 16th century and may be the first embellishment of the church by the Garrard family.
Nether Winchendon – St. Nicholas
The church is architecturally unremarkable, with nave, chancel and west tower. The particular interest is in the internal furnishing, for this is one of the few churches in Buckinghamshire which was overlooked by the Victorian restorers.