Aylesbury – St. Mary
St. Mary’s Church stands on the highest ground in the town within an Iron Age hill fort. One of the most remarkable features in the 12th century font. The building was restored in the 19th century and has also been recently adapted for modern styles of worship.
Chesham – St. Mary
Parts of the 12th century Norman church still survive despite rebuiilding over the centuries to accommodate increases in population and there was an extensive re-ordering in 1999 that gave the Church interior its present appearance.
Ivinghoe – St. Mary
Ivinghoe is a large imposing church, cruciform in shape, with a central tower and slender spire. Nothing remains of the Saxon church that must have existed here. The rest of the church dates from a rebuilding in the early 13th century.
Amersham – St. Mary
The Church was first mentioned in 1140 but little remains of the Norman Church from that time. It may well have resembled the Church at Chesham. The church was remodelled in the 18th century and again in the late 20th century.
Chetwode – St. Mary and St. Nicholas
In the medieval period the Chetwode family appointed priests to the parish church of St. Martin until the former priory church took over the role. The present Church is well noted for its stained glass.
Radnage – St. Mary the Virgin
The Church is in a beautiful setting, with fine views down the valley. It is built of flint with stone dressings. It comprises nave, central tower and chancel, and appears to date from the 13th century.
Bledlow – Holy Trinity
The village and Church are on the arable land in the Vale and the Church is an excellent example of a small ‘Early English’ church. It is built of flint with stone dressings and is noted for its wall paintings that date from the 13th and 17th centuries.
Little Hampton Church
The church displays more vernacular than ecclesiastical architecture and it is difficult to date. It is built of flint but none of the masonry appears older than the 13th century. The real delight is in its wall paintings, which were brought to light in 1907.
Haddenham – St. Mary the Virgin
Little remains of the Norman church at Haddenham as it was largely rebuilt in the 13th century. The church comprises a tall nave with side aisles, a long chancel with north chapel and south vestry, and a very fine west tower.
North Crawley – St. Firmin
Early records suggest that a minster church, like Aylesbury, existed here before rebuilding started in the 13th century. A special feature in this church is the painted rood screen with lively figures of the prophets and saints in the lower panels.