Decorated

Olney – St. Peter and St. Paul

The church is typical of the exhuberance and innovation which characterises the architecture of this period that the tracery of each window is different. The dramatic five-light east window was inserted as part of a restoration in the late nineteenth century.

Emberton – All Saints

Little remains of the church of the first recorded priest for it was completely rebuilt in the early 14th century.The church comprises a nave with with north and south aisles, a chancel with an unfortunate Victorian vestry on the south side and a bulky west tower.

Milton Keynes – All Saints

This is a highly unusual church having been largely rebuilt at one time and in one architectural style. It is also unusual in having a north tower when there was plenty of room for a tower at the west end. The church was sensitively restored in 1864 by the then diocesan architect.

Newport Pagnell – St. Peter and St. Paul

The parish church is one of the largest in Buckinghamshire and stands on a promontory between the rivers Lovat and Ouse. The church was largely rebuilt in the early 14th century, when the walls of the nave were replaced by six bays of arcading on either side to give access to the new side aisles.

Clifton Reynes – St. Mary the Virgin

The records indicate that there was church here before 1200. The church gives the impression that it is of the ‘Perpendicular’ style but the chancel is a good example of the ‘Decorated’ style. The church is also the place of burial for the Reynes family.

Edlesborough – St. Mary the Virgin

The church stands on a small, isolated hill, close to the Chiltern escarpment, making a prominent landmark in the Vale of Aylesbury. Nothing survives of the 11th century church and the church in its present form was created in the 13th through 15th centuries.

Little Kimble – All Saints

This is a small church built with flint and stone dressings. The nave may have been built before the 13th century but the main interest is the surprisingly complete scheme of wall paintings dating from the early 14th century.